You Can't Pull This Off

I'm embarrassed to admit how often I tell myself that. You've probably said it to yourself as well.
We all do.

Sometimes, I say it to friends when they ask my opinion about a dress that I really dislike. It's sort of my nice thing to say when I think I'd never want to wear or try something, but I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

But sometimes I say it when I see something that looks freaking fabulous. I just absolutely love it, but don't feel like I'm good enough to make it work.

Example A: The Pixie Cut. I've seen some women with serious sex appeal rocking a pixie, and I think to myself, "I could never pull it off." Not because it's too outrageous or wouldn't correspond with my personality, but because I don't feel pretty enough to still look nice if I chopped off all my hair.
(note - I'm not looking for encouragement or compliments here. I'm just letting you in on a bit of my inner dialogue.)

Needless to say, I struggle with self confidence from time to time, as I'm sure 99% of the population does.

All of the articles that I keep see popping up on my Twitter and Pinterest feeds seem to reinforce this idea that I can't just wear whatever I want. "The Skinny Jean Diet" or "Get a bikini body in 30 days!" pop up on the screen, and I can't help but wonder what the heck a "bikini body" is. Because frankly, if you've got a bikini and you've got a body, you're good to go. There's really not much else to it, as long as you feel good in your own skin.

But you know what? It's all just rubbish - nothing but word vomit to get clicks and sell you things.

If you think it's pretty, you can wear it. I promise you can pull it off, because in the end it all comes down to your attitude while sporting it. And if it looks terrible? Then there's still nothing wrong with you, no matter what anyone else thinks. You simply don't like it, but you can absolutely pull it off.

In French, when speaking about switching up your look or trying something a bit more daring, they say  "Il faut l'assumer," rather than "I couldn't pull it off," meaning that you have to wear it with confidence and accept the consequences. There are somethings in life that you just have to jump into whole-heartedly, and if you love it, own it.

Jump ahead to cutting my hair like this:




And purchasing these pants:



I absolutely did not think I could pull either of those looks off. But I'm just loving them both and je me sens bien dans ma peau right now.

These pants are from the New Yorker, but I'm seeing different versions of this style pop up everywhere. In French they're referred to as "Patalons Flous," and they are basically loose (without being baggy), patterned pants. They are excellent for summer because they are fairly thin and don't stick to the skin. I worried about looking silly, but it doesn't matter. I just feel good in them, and even Laurent thinks they're cute.

........................................................................................................................................

What new things have you been hesitant to try this season?

P.s. I made an Expat Q&A video yesterday and would love for you to let me know what you think!

Comments

Popular Posts