Favorite French Grocery Store Finds

Every time I go grocery shopping, I feel like a tourist. I usually spend half an hour longer in a French supermarket than I would in an American, simply because the brands are all different, and it takes me longer to find the things I'm looking for. I also tend to spend a lot of time going, "Well, that sure is pretty and covered with chocolate! What is it?" So when Erika asked me share my favorite food find from a French grocery store, I thought I'd share a bunch with you and turn it into a post. :)


Ice cream with chunks of macaroon and a salted caramel sauce? 
Yum. France doesn't have as many flavors as they do in the States, but they do have some amazing ones!




 Chocolate Filled Crepes
This is my go to snack. Every brand tastes really different, but I love them all! Except for the ones with little chunks of cereal inside... I'm just not a fan. The best brand? Whaou. Plus, it's got a cute giraffe on the front. :) Clearly, that affects the flavor.




Chocolate & Praline filled Cripsy Waffles
These are just fantastic. I prefer the brand they sell at Lidl though.



Cream of Mushroom Soup
This has been the Where's Waldo? of my French cooking experience. I know cream/mushroom based soups exist in France. But where are they hiding them?

The soup pictured here comes from Simply Market and is the only box of Cream of Mushroom soup that I've found so far. Yes, box. They don't sell soup in cans. However if you can't find this brand, you can usually find Velouté de Champignons pretty easily. It's pretty much the same thing, though it has a stronger mushroom flavor (which I love).



Perle de Lait
This is the best yogurt I have ever tasted. Such a pity you can't ship it abroad. If you visit France, make sure you try this before heading home. I think it tastes as good as ice cream. My husband says he wouldn't go that far. But it is delicious!



Polenta
I know there is absolutely nothing special about Polenta. But it's really important to know that this is equivalent of American cornmeal. You will need to know this if you ever get homesick and really want some cornbread. It's often called Fine Semoule de Maïs as well.

*Be careful not to mix it up with Farine de Maïs (Corn Flour), which is the equivalent of American cornstarch. You will be very disappointed when you get home and open up the box. 

....................................................

Any recommendations for food products that I've missed? Have you tried anything of these yet?

What do you think of posts like this? Is it interesting to see what they eat in other countries, or does it bore you to tears? Please feel free to be honest. I'm genuinely curious as to whether or not this type of post is interesting/helpful or not. 

Comments

Popular Posts