Say What?

Sometimes you see or hear people say stuff that just makes you wonder if one of you is on the wrong planet. You just have no response, no words. Today, I'm sharing a few of the Say What? phrases that I've heard recently:


1. "Air conditioning will make you sick."

Ever been on public buses or in gyms in France/Italy/Spain and wondered why they're aren't aware of the fact that everyone's sweating up a storm? It's because they are afraid that drops in temperature, drafts of fresh air, and cold things in general will make them sick.

It's a Latin European thing. My niece currently has a cold because "it was windy yesterday." My mother-in-law has the same cold. She says she must have drunk something too cold without realizing it.
.:Eyebrow Raise:.

My favorite cold weather warning - A sign at the local university. That little man is swearing (!) and everything. :)
That other problem that cold weather causes: Icy sidewalks which might cause you to face-plant.
Other weird cold weather fact, in the Alps (where I live) people sometimes give you slippers to wear as you enter their house, so that your feet don't cold. Cold feet = Sick. I'm always more worried about catching diseases from people's foot bacteria. You have no idea who's worn those before you...

2. When the lady who takes my money at the pool assumes I'm a child and gives me the kiddy tariff. 

The kiddy tariff is for children under the age of 16. I'm 22. This is just embarrassing. I'm always tempted to just take the lower price, but because I'm too prideful honest, I tell her I need the adult pass.

3. People who totally miss the point of your posts.

Ex: You write an entire post about how much you love Mac & Cheese. You go really into detail, using tons of positive adjectives. The next morning you wake up to the following comment, "Me too! I thought I was the only one who hated Mac & Cheese. It's the most disgusting food EVER!" You're just left sitting there, scratching your head, wondering if this commenter is a few candles short of a birthday cake.

4. Cory Monteith is no longer with us.

This really bums me out. I keep hoping his publicist will pop up, and go, "April Fools!"

5. "Like & Share this or Jesus won't love you!" posts on Facebook.

Do they really believe that?? Why would any one share that? No, really. From a psychological perspective, I would love to know why people post things like that.

I'm fairly certain that Facebook was never mentioned in the bible.

someecards.com - Looks like I'm going to Hell for not sharing that photo of Jesus on Facebook.


6. Awkward "Why haven't you proposed to me yet?" jokes on girl's Facebook statuses. 

Bonus points if they tag their boyfriend. "Our babe is totes gonna be born in 3 months. Wheres my ring @john? Time for u 2 make an honest woman out of me!!! Jk!! totes Jk honey."

And then you notice forty people have liked this status. What? Why?

7. "I'm Pro-human extinction" and Other Illogical Activist Groups

Pro-human extinction activists. Just Google it. I knew a guy who was really into this in high school.
He has 2 kids now. Go figure.

8. People who think painting a little boys finger nails will give him severe psychological problems later on.

Good heavens. It's nail polish. Calm down. People here get really, really upset about it. After having the debate with my family-in-law over dinner once, I googled "painting little boys finger nails" in French and could not believe how strongly the Frenchies were against it. One mother asked in a forum what the other parents thought, because her son likes when she paints little animal faces on his fingers. People attacked her, calling her irresponsible and saying that she might turn her son gay or give him severe psychological problems.

It's p-a-i-n-t. I can't even begin to comprehend what anyone would find wrong with a 3 year-old liking paint on his fingers. If anyone can explain this train of thought or make things a little clearer for me, please share.

9. "I'm quitting Facebook for privacy reasons" - so they decide to create a public blog instead...

10. "I really hate Reese's Peanut Butter Cups!"

Say WHAT? I think you need to try them again. Everyone loves Reese's! This is just wrong.

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups = True Love

....................................................

Really though? Could some one please explain?

What kind of head-scratchers have you heard recently?

............................................

Today, I wanted to introduce you to my sweet friend Jordan. She's a brand new blogger over at All the Small Things. She blogs about embarrassing moments in the hot doctor's office, her thoughts on making friends, and she wrote a hilarious post about why she's not so into the whole exercise thing.



What is your absolute favorite thing about you?
I love that I am quick to smile, and slow to get mad. Sometimes this does come back to bit me in the butt, but honestly, I’d much rather be known for being sweet than being a b**ch, so I just do me. I am often told that one of the best things about me is that it’s difficult to be grumpy around me, because I am usually always smiling and laughing about something. I love that about myself. And, since I’m bragging a bit here…I think I have a great smile, too, so I’ve got that going for me….which is nice.


If your house is on fire, what is the first item you grab?
A few years ago, my mom gave me a little statue for Christmas. I had had a particularly rough year, and she bought the statue as a physical reminder for me that, in her words, I am “strong enough to make it through anything.” I love the statue, and I especially love what it represents, and what it reminds me of every time I look at it. I’d grab that, and my journals. And I’d want to grab my childhood blanket, too, but now I’m just getting greedy…


If you could have lunch with anyone, living or dead, who would it be? 
Adolf Hitler, after he had the “Liar, Liar” spell put on him, and wasn’t able to lie about anything.
I’ve always been fascinated with WWII history, and as much as I absolutely abhor Hitler’s political views, and his behavior, I do wonder what went on inside his head. My pre-psychologist self wants to get inside his brain and dig around a little bit, and see if I can understand where his psychoses originated.

See? Doesn't she sound awesome? Now go check her out!

Comments

  1. Hehe, my Dad is one of those people who offers slippers or thick wool socks to people when they come over to our house. I think he just does it because he always has cold feet and thinks that everyone else is the same.

    And can I say amen to the nail polish bit? Seriously, people need to calm the heck down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, the whole cold thing is funny! I think people here believe that sometimes, but not to that extent!

    P.S. Where did your disqus go?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm taking a break from personal Facebook but not for privacy reasons- I can only imagine who would do that and have a public blog! I have second-hand embarrassment for the people who give engagement hints or ultimatums in a public forum- that would be a good reason NOT to propose!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think!

Popular Posts