That Time I Didn't Use Shampoo for a Week

There's been a no-poo trend circulating the bloggosphere recently. My blogging bestie Amanda, who is freaking adorable, swears by taking shampoo out of her beauty routine. Her hair's never been better. I saw a few other girls jump on the band wagon (giving rave reviews), and I figured that it couldn't hurt to try. 

This is what my hair looked like after one week without using shampoo:

Selfie France, Shampoo good for the environment


How am I cleaning it? 

With baking soda and vinegar. Amanda explains the process better below, and she actually knows what she's talking about. Me? Not so much.

Does it actually work?

Your hair does get clean. If you're ever in a pinch, this will work and will definitely get your hair dirt & oil free. The first day was the best for me. It helped get rid of my build up and I had tons of volume.

Any bizarre reactions?

My ends tend to dry out more easily with this method. I also didn't use enough baking soda the second day and I was a bit greasier than I would have liked. 

One day, I used Red Wine Vinegar, because I read that it was good for people with tangly hair. I smelled like an alcoholic until my hair dried. (Don't worry the vinegar smell always disappears as soon as your hair is dry. Thank goodness!)

Will I stick to the no shampoo routine over the long run? 

I haven't decided yet. It's better for the environment, but shampoo is definitely cheaper and easier to find than Baking Soda in France. Weird, I know.

I will also definitely use this method when I need some serious volume, or when I want to remove product buildup.

Corny poses No-poo clean hair
This is a picture of me showing off my new found volume, using the corniest finger-through-hair pose ever.

Amanda actually knows what she's doing, so I'm going to let her finish this post. Take it away Amanda - 

.....

I'm sure quite a few of you recognize me by now. I've been sneaking into Patricia's social media scene every chance I get. For those of you who don't know, I'm Amanda and I blog over at Living in Another Language. I'm an expat living in South Korea, and usually blog about my travels and love for photography.
Usually.
Lately I've gone on an all natural beauty products kick...most likely due to the fact that anything beauty related over here in Korea is insanely priced. The cheapest bottle of shampoo is $10-$14 dollars. Yuck. And so began my journey to find alternatives, and I found the mother of all beauty regimens: No Poo.

photo-4

As Patricia already introduced to you, I as well don't use shampoo. I've been without the stuff for over three months, and my hair can't thank me enough. Who would have thought a mixture of water, baking soda, and vinegar would produce such fine results? Sure I've had my up days and down days, but you just cannot beat the fact that I only have to wash my hair once a week. Well, every 6 days to be exact. And my hair isn't even slightly greasy by day 4 and 5!
Ok, so what's up with no poo? I've compiled a little list of pro's and con's to consider.
Nopooxxcroissants
As you can see, the pros definitely outweigh the cons. Starting no poo requires a lot of patience and perseverance. 99.9% of the time you're not going to get the correct formula (amount of baking soda to water or vinegar to water) on the first try. Keep a hair journal and figure out what works best for you. Try more baking soda one day, and if it's too dry try less. Try apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar one day, if it's too greasy, go back to white vinegar. 

Another important con to talk about is the transition period. Too many people start no poo thinking their hair will react to it immediately. Remember, you most likely have years of build-up (um gross I know) on your scalp. Also, your hair has never been able to produce and maintain it's own oils for an extended period of time. Give it a few days-weeks to adjust fully. During my transition period my hair was very limp and dull. It only lasted for about a week. However my sister's transition period lasted three weeks and her hair was almost unmanageable with a greasy scalp and dry ends. There are ways to combat your transition period, and I've listed things you can do for no-poo troubleshooting here.

For all those considering no poo: congratulations, people will think you're as crazy as I am, until they realize your hair is 50x more awesome than theirs. ;) 
Good Luck! 



....

Amanda's such a sweetheart, love her. Have any of you tried the No-Poo trend? Is it something you'd be willing to try, or not so much?

Comments

Popular Posts