How I Knew My Husband was a Winner

You almost never hear me talk about Monsieur Right on this blog, aside from the occasional anecdote, and you probably won't hear a ton about him in the future, despite the fact that I just love his guts! It's true that our love story is up, but as a few of our friends pointed out at a lunch yesterday (does anyone else blush/cringe when their blog is brought up in real life conversations?), it's missing a lot of details. I've even avoided posting too much about our wedding.

This is because Monsieur Right is a little more normal reserved than I am. I might not have a problem with over sharing, but he certainly does. Whenever I chat about him on here, I ask him how he feels about it first. So today, you're getting a rare gem.




Despite growing up in small town where marrying and having children as quickly as possible after high school is considered normal, I swore I wasn't getting married until I was at least 30. I had things to do, places to see, and no boy was going to get in the way of that. I wanted to go on adventures*, before I was tied down and stuck to one person for the rest of my life. Marriage seemed pretty lame.

Then Monsieur Right came along. Here's why I kept him ;) :


1. He's more into housework and cleaning than I am.

He's definitely a man's man, but there's none of this sexist "that's a women's job" crap. A lot of men, don't say it directly, but they automatically assume their wives will take care of certain chores. I could not put up with that crap attitude. #aintnobodygottimeforthat

If the kitchen is messy, he cleans the kitchen. This man scrubs toilets, vacuums, and then deep cleans in ways that I didn't even know were possible. We're both grown ups, and we both clean up after ourselves.


2. His mamma raised him with manners.


3. All the little old ladies we know have a crush on him.

As soon as I started dating him, little old ladies at church started coming up to me to let me know how lucky I was. 

"Let me tell you why Monsieur Right would make a great husband for someone someday..."

"Let me tell you about the time when he was a teenager, and he canceled all of his Saturday plans so that he could come help me clean my house/pull weeds in my yard/etc." 

They all just thought he was the bees knees and had tons of stories to tell about the service that he's done for them, without asking for anything in return.

That my friends, is character.


4. He likes American food.

I know my Instagram makes it look like I'm really enjoying French food, but I'm actually just enjoying the pastries and breads. A lot of the day-to-day food French families eat is just too much for my American taste buds. There is no way I could eat like that everyday.

At home I cook American food, and he cooks westernized-Asian food. And that's the way we like it.



5. He's freaking hilarious.


6. I want to go on adventures* with him.

Remember how I said that I had places to go and things to do? Nothing's changed. But I knew Monsieur Right was the one when I realized that I still wanted to have these amazing experiences and go on all these adventures with him

*In French an "adventure" is often a euphemism for having a one night stand. Now every time I talk about adventures, even in English where it's completely innocent, I feel a little scandalous. 

.................................

Speaking of marriages that rock, let me introduce you to Amberly. She is a total sweetheart that has had my back since the beginning. She was one of my first followers, and one of the first people to lend a hand. Amberly and her husband are also really funny. Make sure you stop by to say "hi" and tell her I sent you!



1. What is your absolute favorite thing about you? 

I really loved how easy it is for me to make friends, nobody can ever have too many friends! Whether it's in the blog world or in real life, I can always find something in common that we can bond over. It makes me happy and life is never lonely when you have friends.

2. Why do you blog? 

I started blogging years ago as a way to share the adventures that I had in life and the random thoughts that were running through my head. When my husband and I got engaged, I was super excited to start our blog to keep our friends and family caught up on the things that were going on in our life. At the beginning of this year, I caught the blogging bug and I've started writing more about our marriage, and the things that I am learning and applying to my life from other bloggers and the things that I am learning while I pursue my degree in Family Studies.

3. If your house caught on fire, what would be the first item you grabbed? 

I've been thinking about this question a lot lately for some reason. I think first I would grab my puppy because there is no way he is getting left behind! After that, possession wise, I'd grab my purse, is that random? My whole life is in my purse, my planner, my to do lists, my bucket lists, wallet, flash drives with pictures, etc.  If I had my purse, I'd feel a little more calm about the rest of my stuff burning, because those are the things that can be replaced. Who knows how I'd really feel in the moment though...

Seriously, friends. Her puppy is adorable. I'm thinking about kidnapping it... And here is where I take a pause from blogging, so that I can try and convince my husband that we need a puppy.
...........................


See, doesn't she sound sweet? And doesn't that post just make you want to go out and get your own puppy?

My husband is trying to talk sense into me and says that we should wait until I have job to get a puppy. I may have some really good news coming up on that front, and if all goes well I can tell you more about it Monday. Please keeps me in your thoughts and prayers this weekend!

Comments

Popular Posts